Monday, June 9, 2014

We Teach What We Are


Our Last Meeting With President and Sister Pitt

This week has been pretty intense. I feel like it's been ages since last Monday. A lot has gone on this week. Tuesday we had Specialized Training in Huntington, West Virginia. It was the last time I'll see President Pitt until I get home. It was emotional to say the least. It was actually a really intense meeting, for me at least. We talked about things that really hit home for me.

The meeting was centered around conversion---especially the conversion of the missionary. At least, that's what stood out to me. President said, "We teach what we are." We teach those principles that we live, and we can't bear testimony of those things that we don't live and that aren't part of our very being. We can say the words, but the Spirit can only bear witness of truth, and if we don't truly have a testimony of what we are teaching, then it won't be as effective. What we are essentially doing as missionaries, is reminding people who they are, and where they are going. We are reminding them that they are divine, that they have a Heavenly Father who loves them more than they can imagine, and that they are his literal children. They are made out of the stuff of eternity. They are divine. YOU are divine. We are divine. And I am divine. There's a quote that Sister Morgan gave to me, I can't remember who said it or anything exactly, but it talks about there being no such thing as a mere mortal. We have to remember that we are divine, and we have to be living in such a way that the divinity within us can shine through, because THAT is what will speak to people, not the words we say. I wish I had my notes on me so I could go into more detail of everything President taught, but it was beautiful, and it really spoke to me.

At the end of the meeting we all got in a big circle and had a last testimony meeting with President and Sister Pitt. We went around the circle and all bore a no longer than one minute testimony of the Savior. It was probably one of the most beautiful experiences of my mission. There was a senior couple there, and she talked about how she felt she was in the presence of angels with all of us missionaries. It didn't just feel like I was in the presence of angels though, I actually was. I wish you could have been there, because the feeling of love was so intense. Not only for one another, and not only of President and Sister Pitt for us, but you could literally feel God's love there that afternoon. To watch all these young men and women stand and proclaim that Christ lives, was SO powerful.

It was beautiful, as I sat across from President and Sister Pitt. They listened to each of us, hand in hand. You can feel how much they love each other, and even more, you can see it. It's been interesting, the closer President gets to the end of his mission, the more he talks about marriage. In his testimony he talked about how important our time here on our missions is. How it is one of the most important things we will ever do. But beyond that, he talked about how marrying the right person, at the right time, in the right place, is THE most important thing we will ever do. Family is central to God's plan. That line means so much more to me the more I learn. I'm also realizing how important it is that I'm here on my mission, and that I let it change me completely, because I can't go home and be the same dumb girl that I was. There are big decisions in my future, and I need to be the kind of girl that will make the right choice. Because consequences are real, and some are eternal.

Anyway, the meeting ended with the most beautiful prayer I have ever been part of. We all knelt together as President Pitt offered his final prayer with us. I've talked about this before, but when President prays, you know without a doubt that he is speaking with God, and he has never offered a prayer that I have been able to hold back my tears through. This prayer was no different. Everyone got to their knees and President began to pray. I knelt beside Sister Morgan, who has taught me more about love and kindness than anyone I've ever met, and Elder Bovee, my Zone Leader who is always looking out for us, and is always ready to be there for us if we ever need anything. I knelt with family. And it felt so good. President’s prayer felt more like a blessing. He called down blessings upon us from heaven. He asked that we would be changed by the time we spent here in the mission. He prayed that we would find that spouse, that right person, and that we would marry them at the right time, and in the right place. He blessed us with many other things, and expressed his love and gratitude so beautifully. As he closed, in the name of the Jesus Christ, and we all looked up, there was a silence, and a brief moment, that I knew with absolute certainty.... that this is exactly where I am supposed to be.

I'm so happy here in Pikeville. I'm so happy that I have this chance to be a missionary. I'm so happy to have this chance to find myself and become who I need to be. I'm so happy to be alive. I love y'all and miss you so much. Know that there are so many prayers from
Pikeville, Kentucky headed your way daily. I'm also so happy to hear you're reading the Book of Mormon together. SO happy. More happy than you can even know. I love you guys. With everything that I am.


Team Morgan and Lytle
M--------'s Graduation

No comments:

Post a Comment