Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Until We Meet Again

6-30-14


On June 27th, Darcy received one of those phone calls that no one wants to receive.  Comfort and blessings came to her in specific, beautiful ways, but most of what she wrote that week is too tender for the blog.  

Friday began super normal, until lunch. Well, first of all, you have to realize that Thursday was the day the new mission president, President Salisbury, was to land, and when he landed, the keys to the mission go to him.  I got the call just hours before, so I got the call from President Pitt, and that means SO much to me. 

So anyway, during lunch we get a call from President Pitt, which never happens. So I answer, and he asks me if we could speak privately. So I go into the other room wondering what was going on. He starts off by saying he loves me, and that I need to brace myself for the information he was about to tell me.

A million things ran through my brain in those moments. I stared out the window as he told me that he had received a call from my father who had informed him that my friend in Madagascar had passed away. I think I gasped a little because it caught me so off guard. President Pitt asked me, "Do you know who that would be?" The tears had already started against my will as I answered, "Matt, Matt Palmer." President gave me some of the most beautiful words of comfort and counsel after that. He told me that Matt had a beautiful work to do on the other side. He bore testimony of the plan of salvation, and the beauty and comfort that is our Heavenly Father’s perfect plan. There are no mistakes. Matt was, and is, exactly where he needs to be. I am exactly where I need to be. This is God's plan. President also told me something that hit me to the very core. He told me that Matt would want me to work my hardest, and live every day like it might be my last, and that he would support me from the other side.

Matt’s hands are vivid in my memory.  I remember all those hours I spent sitting on the piano bench next to him watching those hands. Those hands helped me up time and time again.  They were always rough from working,  but then, those hands would make the most beautiful music I've ever heard. I honestly don't think I have ever heard anyone play music like Matt. He played with his soul, and that's why you couldn't listen without tears coming to your eyes. Matt was a beautiful, inspiring influence, and he really did change the course of my life.

matt-palmer.bandcamp.com









No comments:

Post a Comment